Hot Cross Buns
Hot Cross Buns are a traditional Easter favourite that have been made for thousands of years! Try your hand at making your own hot cross buns this year, and be sure to check out our video and blog post for more on the history of this delectable dessert!
Prep time: 1.5-2.5 hours
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
Makes: 12 buns
- 1 package instant dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 3 tablespoons warm water (NOT hot!)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup warm milk (we used buttermilk)
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (or more)
- 1 cup raisins or currants
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 1/2 tsp spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice)Flour Paste:
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/3 cup water (or more)
- 2 tablespoons white sugarSugar Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons warm milk
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine water and yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes, then mix on low for 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, butter, sugar, and salt.
- Whisk the egg into the butter mixture.
- Pour this mixture into the mixing bowl with the yeast.
- Mix on medium speed until all ingredients are combined.
- Add 3 1/2 cups of flour, spices, and orange zest. Replace the mixer with the dough hook, and mix on medium speed until the dough no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl.
- Add additional flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Add raisins and knead for 8 minutes using the dough hook or by hand on a lightly floured surface.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover with a clean, loose cloth, and allow to rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1-2 hours.
- Punch the dough down. Divide into 12 pieces and shape into balls. Place in a 9×13 baking pan. Set aside.Flour Mixture:
- Mix flour and sugar for the paste for the crosses. Add one tablespoon of water at a time to make a thick paste.
- Using a piping bag, put a cross on the top of each bun.
- Allow buns to rise in warm, draft-free place for 15-20 minutes. At this point, the dough can be stored in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350. Bake until the crust is a deep golden brown and the buns are cooked through, 20-25 minutes.Glaze:
- Combine milk and sugar in a bowl. Brush mixture over hot buns and allow to cool before serving.